Monday 6 December 2010

Michael Campbell seeks out Gary Edwin


Former US Open champion Michael Campbell has had a difficult time on the golf course over the past 2 years. In 19 events on the European Tour in 2010, he missed the halfway cut as many as 16 times. Only twice did he shoot rounds in the 60s; on nine occasions he soared into the 80s. And his winnings of €13,576, a far cry from the $2,496,269 he collected on the European Tour in 2005.

Fortunately things now appear to be turning around for Cambo. A couple of weeks back Campbell seeked out the help of "The Guru" Gary Edwin and began refining his swing technique. He then shot four steady rounds at the Australian Masters, finishing tied for 28th place. Then at The Lakes Golf Club in Sydney last week, Campbell put together rounds of 71,71,69,70 for a 7-under total and a tie for 12th at the Australian Open Championship.

“The last three days have been very encouraging,” said Campbell, after posting a third round of 69.

“I’ve been working with a new coach in Gary Edwin for the last two weeks. He’s been a great help. I hit 15 greens in each of the first two rounds and 16 today. If I’d had any luck on the greens at all, I would be right up there in contention. That’s a nice feeling. I couldn’t really have been further south than I was this season.

“Still, I have to admit I’m happy just to be heading in the right direction. We’ve worked hard on just simplifying everything. In fact, I’ve been doing the same off the course. We moved house recently and I threw out a lot of stuff. Basically, I’ve done the same with my golf swing; I’ve thrown out all the rubbish. Gary has given me a new lease of life. Today, I hit so many quality shots that finished pin-high, which is always a good sign. At last I’m swinging the club well.”

Gary Edwin has had an obvious and immediate influence on the Kiwi's game. “All we’ve really done is get Michael back to swinging the way he was when he won the US Open at Pinehurst in 2005,” Edwin says.

“He has so much talent; it didn’t take him long for him to get back to ‘flushing’ it. Once he starts putting better, he’ll be back in contention before long. I’m looking forward to watching him next year.” And while Campbell started working late last year with legendary Scottish coach Bob Torrance, Campbell confirmed his arrangement with Edwin is permanent.

So much so, Edwin will travel with Campbell to Abu Dhabi mid-January for the first event of Campbell’s new 2011 European Tour season.

No comments:

Post a Comment